Unfortunately, the world is full of screwed-up people. But the good news, says Elizabeth Brown, is that your world no longer has to revolve around them. With brilliant insights and a keen sense of humor, this trusted author and sought-after speaker shows readers how to
stop the power of whatever is eating them alive
productively respond when confronted
remain poised and in control when everyone around them loses it
win fairly in unfair battles
let go of what has been, or what they wish would be, and live triumphantly nowPublishers Description
Unfortunately, the world is full of screwed-up people. But the good news, says Elizabeth Brown, is that your world no longer has to revolve around them. With brilliant insights and a keen sense of humor, this trusted author and sought-after speaker shows readers how to:
- stop the power of whatever is eating them alive
- productively respond when confronted
- remain poised and in control when everyone around them loses it
- win fairly in unfair battles
- let go of what has been, or what they wish would be, and live triumphantly now
Dozens of real-life success stories, brief diagnostic tests, and practical tools are included to help readers assess their own situations and gain confidence to change self-defeating behaviors. This popular word-of-mouth bestseller now has an updated look.
The information in the above description is considered to be accurate to the best of our knowledge. BibleMovies.com is an online christian bookstore that carries christian DVDs, homeschooling curriculum, Bibles & electronic Bibles, biblical movies, christian games and toys for children and much, much, more! Please call us if you have any questions about our christian, Bible, family or other products.
Est. Packaging Dimensions: Length: 0.75" Width: 5.5" Height: 8.25"
Weight: 0.65 lbs.
Release Date Feb 1, 2010
Publisher Baker Publishing Group
Availability 2 units.
Availability accurate as of Nov 23, 2017 08:35.
Usually ships within one to two business days from New Kensington, PA.
Orders shipping to an address other than a confirmed Credit Card / Paypal Billing address may incur and additional processing delay.
Reviews - What do our customers think?
|Much better books are available Dec 10, 2008|
|I bought this book because I thought it might give me some ideas on how to cope with some difficult people at work. I was impressed with the book's 5 star rating on this website. |
While the book contains some good information, I am giving it only 2 stars for the following reasons:
- It's unnecessarily long.
- It's confusingly organised. For example, it doesn't ask this essential question, "Do you want to have a relationship with the person you consider to be screwed-up?" at the start of the book. It should have done because you need to answer this question before determining your course of action. Chapter 16 is called, "Is different screwed up?" This question should have been considered near the beginning also.
- Occasionally some poor advice is given. For example, it is suggested that you could ask a person who becomes enraged during a confrontation, "Why are you responding with such rage?" Actually, it would be wise to stop the confrontation until they have calmed down.
- Some questionable advice is given. For example, "You lose less when you aren't afraid of losing", "a living faith can encourage you to seek real answers to the why questions", "envisioning your screwed-up person as handicapped changes your perspective", and "by turning your anger at aberrant behaviour into pity, you free yourself from the stranglehold the difficult person has over your emotions".
- Most surprisingly, the author refers to the other person who has difficulty relating with people as screwed up, or a SUP, all the way through the book. But labelling a person you want to have a relationship with as "screwed-up" is surely unhelpful.
- Mediation as a potentially helpful process is not discussed.
- It doesn't specifically discuss strategies to cope with stressful relationships at work.
Books I highly recommend for people struggling with relationships are Dr William Glasser's books on Choice Theory and a book called The Miracle Question: Answer It and Change Your Life, by Linda Metcalf.
|A Must Book for Everyone's Personal Library! Sep 30, 2008|
|What an insightful and healing book! Every page has powerful insights where most books might have 20% of real content. I couldn't wait to get through it and read it again. The first six chapters are analytical and the rest provide encouragement and direction. I have recommended this book to almost everyone. I bought several extra to give out as loaners.|
As a Behavior Analyst I see a lot of these life situations in the work place (people bring their dysfunctions to work). Managers can learn great techniques to improve performance of staff. You are going to run into dysfunctional people, learn how to handle them!
|Better than it sounded... Mar 18, 2008|
|I bought this book for quick reading on a plane. This title may do the content a disservice, but I did buy the book. I would rather that the title were the sub-title but please read on. Initially while reading the book I was prepared to give it a 7 out of 10 positive score. But as I moved toward the end, the book and advice got stronger and better. The conclusion brings me to rate this book a 9 out of 10. The reason for the seven or the nine was primarily due to the title and expectations. I like to share things with friends, and I was fearful that they might think I bought the book with them in mind. Strong advice, not preachy, and not I'm OK but your not, and well worth the full price. If you have difficult people in your life, buy this book. Thanks Elizabeth, but how about consulting with me on the next title? :) |
|Great book Mar 4, 2008|
I bought this book at Krogers while waiting for my wife and
it really turned me around in my view of SUP's ( Screwed Up People).
It is very common sense book on learning how to spot SUP's , dealing with SUP's , and letting SUP's go . A must have for anyone who deals with people in a work environment, home, or on the golf course.
|Living Successfully with Screwed-up People Dec 6, 2007|
|A real world account of the many events that can occur on a daily basis in your life. It made me feel that I was not alone and that other people were facing the same problems. Not only facing them but how to face and resolve them. A friend told me to just put the book down and open it now and then to any page - and it always seems to hit the perfect page.|
Write your own review about Living Successfully With Screwed-Up People
Add This Product Widget To Your Website
Looking to add this information to your own website? Then use our Product Widget to allow you to display product information in a frame that is 120 pixels wide by 240 pixels high.
Copy and paste the following HTML into your website and enjoy!